Week End Wrap Up

By Jessica Johnston, Assistant News Director

A lot happened this week, there’s no way around it. Between property values, Issue 1 and police investigations, it was not a quiet week in Muskingum County. Buckle up, there’s a lot of reporting to dig through.

Multi-jurisdictional law enforcement

• A man, whose name has not been released, led authorities on a multi-county pursuit after the Muskingum County Sheriff’s Office was notified of a domestic dispute. After fleeing a scene and committing crimes along the way, the pursuit ended when the man shot himself in a cemetery that his mother is buried in off Virginia Ridge Road. Follow up story. First Story.
  • A body was pulled from the Muskingum River Thursday afternoon. The man, identified as Nicholas Hayes, was a reported missing person that was a part of an ongoing Zanesville Police Department investigation. Hayes’ belongings were found alongside the river. Follow up story. First Story.

In the courts

• Bradley Boyer, a man that assaulted a Dresden Police Officer at the end of May, was sentenced to 10 years in prison in Judge Kelly Cottrill’s court. He was charged with four felonies. Full Story.
  • David Doyle, the man arrested during a drug raid on Norwood Boulevard, was arraigned in the Zanesville Municipal Court. Due to the felonious nature of the charges, Doyle was not able to enter a plea in the court on Tuesday. Full Story.
  • Ross Zwelling, who was accused of attempted robbery in September, pleaded not guilty to all associated felony charges in his case during his arraignment Wednesday. Full Story.

First Responders

• Seventeen-year-old Garrett Howard died Tuesday night after crashing the car he was driving on State Route 93. The impact of the crash ejected the teen from the vehicle. Full Story.
  • A hiker at The Wilds was rescued after getting lost for many hours. The man was returned to The Wild’s parking lot around 8 p.m. with his dog. Full Story with update.
  • A woman, who was trapped in a house fire Sunday morning, was rescued by police officers and firefighters. The woman was transported to Genesis Hospital by Value Care Ambulance. Full Story.
  • A Zanesville Police Department Patrolman was awarded The Life Saving Award, one of the departments most prestigious awards. Patrolman Jeremy Downing was the first on scene of a stabbing and was able to stop the man’s bleeding before he bled out. A round of applause. Full Story.
  • There was Survivor Rescuer Reunion for the people who responded to the man thatcollapsed from a massive heart attack during the Zanesville City Half Marathon to reconnect with the person they saved. All is well and the man is hoping to run the marathon with his family next year. Full Story.
  • A shed caught fire which caused a garage, deck and swing-set to catch on fire at the intersection of Elm Street and Third Street in East Fultonham Friday. The home owner was working inside the garage when he heard the popping of fire coming from the shed. No injuries were sustained. Full Story.
  • A Duplex fire sent one man to the hospital Thursday night. The home only had one resident and it’s believed that the fire started as a kitchen fire and spread to the second floor and into the attic. Full Story.
  • An accident on U.S. Route 40 blocked a portion of the roadway Thursday afternoon. At least one person was transported to the hospital. Full Story.
  • This week is Fire Prevention Week and the New Concord Fire Department made the rounds to a few preschool and elementary schools to teach the community’s youngest members about fire safety. Full Story.

Sorry, that was a long one. Stay with it.

In the county

• Property values went up and people are not happy about it. The auditor’s office released an announcement about the uptick in values and is holding public meetings for people to express their concerns and attempt to lower their property’s market value. The meetings began yesterday. Full Story with a list of meeting places and times.
  • Lots of county officials are presenting a unified front in opposition to Issue 1. The County Commissioners held a meeting that was largely led by Prosecutor Mike Haddox to express the group’s concerns with the “dangerous and destructive” proposed law. Community members are arguing on both sides of the issue. Full Story.
  • The County Commissioners Association of Ohio met with the Muskingum County Commissioners to discuss rectifying counties relationship with the state. Think lots of monetary numbers, and big ones at that. Full Story with figures.
  • Betty Sutton, running mate to the Ohio Governor Candidate Rich Cordray, made a brief stop in Muskingum County Tuesday to speak out against Mike DeWine (the other governor candidate). They don’t agree on stuff, shocking. She spoke about healthcare and Ohioans with pre-existing conditions. Full Story.

In the world of sports

• Miss a game last weekend? Visit the Monday Muskingum County Football Flashback for week 7. All the scores, all the recap you need, all the football. Full Flashback.
  • OK, last night Philo faced off against Maysville and boy oh boy, it was a close game. First things first, this old-school rivalry is deep. The great matchup win was stolen by Philo with only 1 point to spare. A 14-13 Philo win was a nail-biter. Preview, and then the Recap. Read them both, even though the outcome was spoiled.
  • Tri-Valley sophomore Aidan Fritter is not a player to ignore, and he’s playing a game that’s getting a lot of attention. Find out why. Full Feature.
  • Dynamic Duos aren’t confined to the TV screen because Sheridan’s quarterback-receiver relationship between Ethan Heller and Jacob Rhodes is nothing short of iconic. Read about it. Full Feature.
  • The Muskingum womens soccer team was recognized for flexing their off-field talent with its 20 United Soccer Coaches Team Academic Award. Some smart cookies, some would say. Full Story.

Brand New

• The Wolf country radio station celebrated its 70th anniversary of operation by expanding its coverage into Perry County, primarily New Lexington. Tune into 102.9 in Perry County to sing along. Full Story.
  • Scholarship Central is hosting five college prep workshops to help students, and parents, prepare for college. From FAFSA to entrance essays, the workshops are there to help. The first one was Tuesday, but don’t worry, there’s four more. Full Story.

Over but noteworthy

• Voter Registration ended Tuesday. Keep in mind that early voting has begun and the Midterm Election is on Nov. 6. Full Story.
  • The Muskingum County Literacy Council is hosting a summit to bring organizations and people in the community dedicated to fighting low literacy together. The last day to register for the summit was Thursday. Full Story.
  • Zane State is hosting a TECHCORPShack program for high school students to learn more about technology and coding. The last day to register for the program was Wednesday. Full Story.

As always, feel free to send events, tips, suggestions, comments and questions to our news team by emailing contact@ycitynews.com or the writer directly at jjohnston@ycitynews.com.