Week End Wrap Up March 31

By Jessica Johnston, Assistant News Director

With this wrap up we’re also closing out March. It was a little bit of a soggy month thanks to all the rain but it did bring spring and some sunny days, so let’s see how April goes. As far as the news goes, you know the drill — get your happy faces on first.

The good news

• For 33 years, Danny and Kristy Quinn have been growing their business into a local staple to Zanesville, the Sunshine Shoppe and Greenhouse. Read about the couple’s journey here.
  • Sydney Joseph, a senior at Mid-East Career and Technology Centers from the Maysville school district, was recognized for her service with a President’s Volunteer Service Award. Full story.
  • The Governor’s Office of Appalachia has granted four school districts and three educational entities with a grant totaling over $150,000 in an effort to create a manufacturing pathway for local high school students. Full story.
  • The Animal Shelter Society’s directors gave an update for the month of March. The shelter has upcoming events that are open to the public and is looking for more volunteers, as well as people in the community willing to foster animals. Full story.

Accidents

• An elderly New Concord man died in a fire last Sunday morning. By the time firefighters arrived, the man’s trailer was involved in flames and the roof was caving in. First story. The fire was likely due to heating issues. Follow-up story.
  • Monday afternoon, a semi truck rolled off of I-70 near the Sixth Street on-ramp. The driver of the truck had to be extricated from the cab but walked to the ambulance. Full story.
  • A 49-year-old woman was taken to Genesis Hospital after jumping from the Y-Bridge into the river below late Friday morning. Full story.
  • Thursday evening, a woman was arrested on a felony warrant out of Perry County following a minor accident on Pine Street that she was not involved in. Full story.
  • Two men were added to the Muskingum County Most Wanted List this week. One of the two men made his debut Wednesday only to be captured the following day. Full story.

Court corner

• A woman charged in the 2017 death of her young nephew pleaded not guilty during her arraignment in common pleas court Wednesday morning. Brittany Fitch, 33, is charged with one first-degree felony count of involuntary manslaughter and two second-degree felony counts of endangering children. Full story.
  • Sean Franklin, a 26-year-old Newark man, faces up to 12 years in prison after a jury found him guilty on several drug-related charges last week. Full story.
  • Two more young adults, Briana Dotson and Corey Sowers, pleaded guilty to their participation in planning and executing a robbery at the Little Caesars on Maple Avenue last May. It’s recommended that they both receive seven-year sentences. Full story.
  • Travis Pletcher, a 43-year-old East Fultonham man, was sentenced to three years on two cases. His second case, involving domestic violence, was acquired while he was out on bond in his first case. Full story.
  • A Belmont County man faces up to 44 years in prison after jurors in Guernsey County found him guilty of multiple rape charges. The 60-year-old was found guilty of raping a woman in her own home after she had returned from a neighbor’s house across the street and went to bed. Full story.

Events past & future

• Yesterday, Muskingum University hosted employees from the Columbus Zoo, as well as their animals for one of the most anticipated events during WMCO Weekend. Full preview.
  • Mid-East Career and Technology Centers Zanesville Campus hosted its 11th annual Employability Expo Tuesday where over 90 local business representatives shared their career experiences with students. Full story.
  • Keeping with educational entities, Zane State College announced its 2019 commencement speaker, Ohio Supreme Court Justice Sharon Kennedy. Commencement will be held Thursday, May 9. Attendees must have a ticket. Full story.
  • PAWS of Muskingum County has partnered with Dr. Tess Peavy to host a spay and neuter clinic in an effort to “stop the litter cycle” in the area. All the info here.

As always, feel free to send events, tips, suggestions, comments and questions to our news team by emailing contact@ycitynews.com or the writer directly at jjohnston@ycitynews.com.