New Concord remembers hometown hero on 20th anniversary of John Glenn’s Flight

By Christine Holmes, News Director

Twenty years have passed since John Glenn launched into orbit for his second time.

In the time between, many advancements have been made at NASA, as well as heartbreak, including the loss of their beloved Glenn in 2016.

But in his hometown of New Concord, Glenn’s legacy lives on and still brings much joy and pride to the village even in the decades since the Space Shuttle Discovery launched on Oct. 29, 1998.

Inside Glenn’s boyhood home, relocated to the center of town, it was standing room only as the community came together to reminisce about their hometown, American hero.

“It was a wonderful experience,” said Barb Hansen, Executive Director for the Museum Association of East Muskingum during her opening remarks. “I know that we all remember fondly that day, that launch and the week-long activities.”

Renee Coll was just a senior at John Glenn High School when it was announced that her school’s namesake would again make history by returning to space and becoming the oldest man to do so.

Coll, then Morrow, was one of the lucky journalism students selected to make the journey to Florida and cover the historic event for her high school newspaper.

She and her teacher, Mary Anne DeVolld, shared their unforgettable experience traveling from New Concord to Cape Canaveral for the launch.

The pair recalled forgoing the comfort of their hotel room and choosing to camp out at the launch site after Muskingum University’s Director of Public Relations, Janice Tucker McCloud, warned them of heavy traffic expected in the morning.

The morning of the launch, as Glenn was walking outside to board the Airstream Astrovan taking him to the launch pad, Coll and DeVolld yelled ‘Go Muskies’ from the pit of photographers, to which Glenn looked around and gave them a thumbs up.

Glenn continued on his way, followed by fellow astronaut Chiaki Mukai.

“As they got right to where they were approaching the door to get on this Airstream, he stopped and stepped to the side and had her go first,” said Coll.

That special moment for Coll to witness has stayed with her all these years later.

Coll said Glenn’s persona is perfectly captured in the movie “Hidden Figures.”

“It wasn’t an act,” added DeVolld. “He was a gentleman.”

A close friend of Glenn’s, Clyta Young, attested to DeVolld’s comment.

“To me, he was a great man. To me, he was a common man, who said sit with me during this ball game when he was back one, who would call me and say ‘I’m going to be in town, you suppose the kids would like me to talk to them?,” said Young.

Whether or not it was his upbringing in New Concord that made Glenn that way, visitors to the area in the months leading up to the launch all sensed something a little different in the small village.

“All the reporters said, ‘It’s like Mayberry here,’” said Coll.

Several visiting publications commented on New Concord’s friendly atmosphere, Coll and DeVolld both shared.

“They were so impressed with the kids here, because they were so polite and respectful and helpful,” said DeVolld.

For those who watched the launch from New Concord, in their homes or schools, their experience was just as memorable.

“It was a great time,” said John Carlton, who was charged with organizing the media in town for Muskingum University. “Even though we weren’t at the actual event, what a great event it was here on the campus to have all those people in the gym and all the excitement that was going around.”