Area schools prepare for modified proms

By Staff Report

For the first time in nearly two years, high school juniors and seniors will be able to have a prom.

Some area schools have scheduled their events for this upcoming Saturday, though the likelihood of rain is expected to stop any chance of promenades.

As reported last year by Y-City News, at the onset of the pandemic, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine closed all schools for three weeks on March 12.

That order would eventually be extended, with students never to return to their classrooms and remain on remote instruction till summer break.

Spring sports such as track & field, softball and baseball were all canceled with many seniors unable to play their final year.

The closure also affected events, particularly the spring prom season and graduation.

While schools were able to find unique and creative ways to host graduations, often calling one student and family at a time over multiple days, there was no easy way to reformate prom especially considering that dancing with non-household members, even with a mask, was advised against by health officials.

Those health orders didn’t just affect area students but had a direct impact on at least one local business.

Jillian’s Formal Wear, which was known for selling a large number of prom dresses to area teenagers, ultimately made the decision to close after one of their busiest times of year had nearly no sales.

While working within both state and local health guidelines, school administrators, teachers and students all expressed excitement that the governor would allow prom to occur this year.

While some schools such as West Muskingum have found ways to make their prom work within the high school’s gymnasium, others schools like John Glenn choose to move theirs to a larger venue at the Pritchard Laughlin Civic Center.

Further yet, other districts such as Tri-Valley opted to cancel their prom, hosting only the promenade and allowing parent groups to organize and host this year’s event off school grounds.

While multiple schools which have their proms scheduled for this weekend also had intentions of hosting limited promenades, many have now canceled with others only to still occur if the rain holds off, as they are planned for outside.

Below is a list of each area prom. Some districts and/or personnel didn’t return multiple requests for information.

• Tri-Valley: Promenade is on Saturday, April 24 from 4 p.m. until 6 p.m., weather depending, at the high school parking lot. Actual dance will be hosted off district property by parent groups.
  • West Muskingum: Prom is on Saturday, April 24 with dinner to begin at 7 p.m. and the dance to follow immediately after. Theme is roaring 20s.
  • Zanesville: Prom is Saturday, April 24, with promenade to begin at 7 p.m., weather depending, and the dance to follow immediately after. Theme is hollywood glamour.
  • East Muskingum: Prom is on Saturday, May 1 at the Pritchard Laughlin Civic Center. Promenade will begin at 5:45 p.m., weather depending. Dinner catered by Theo’s Restaurant will begin at 7 p.m., with the dance to follow immediately after. Theme is enchanted forest.
  • Maysville: Prom is on Saturday, May 1, with promenade to begin at 5 p.m., weather depending. Dinner will begin at 6 p.m. with the dance to follow immediately after. Theme is neon night.
  • Philo: Prom is on Saturday, May 1. No more information could be obtained after multiple requests.