Exhibition bridges Chinese and American culture through high school artwork

Professor Yan Sun asks Daphne Woodmansee of John Glenn High School about her background in art while talking to a group of artists from John Glenn.

By Christine Holmes, News Director

When Yan Sun first came to New Concord 21 years ago, it was only meant to be temporary.

The Chinese distinguished professor of fine arts wanted to live in the big city, someplace famous, like most internationals do when they romanticize the United States.

“They want to know more about New York,” said Sun. “They want to know about Los Angeles, Hollywood.”

But after a year of teaching at Muskingum University, Sun realized he was getting the real American experience right in the heart of Appalachia.

In the decades to follow, Sun and his wife, Hong Yin, have shared their American experience with more than 200 Chinese students, most of whom grew up in their home province of Gansu, through a partnership formed 10 years ago between Muskingum University and Lanzhou University.

This year, there are 46 Chinese students attending Muskingum University, allowing American students and international students alike to exchange cultures.

Currently, Sun is using art to connect area high school students with high school students in northwest China.

On Monday, the art exhibition “Inspiration in Art Education” opened at the Louis O. Palmer Gallery at Muskingum University for the entire month of October.

Muskingum University senior Matt Triola browses the artwork displayed in the Palmer Gallery.

The show features 60 pieces created by students in China and another 60 by students from John Glenn High School, Zanesville High School, Newark High School and Caldwell High School.

Sun also took artwork from the U.S. to China for a similar exhibition.

“I think that this is a very good opportunity that I can build the bridge,” said Sun.

The exhibition is meant to bridge the cultural gap between the United States and China by teaching visitors at either gallery through the artwork produced by high school students from both countries.

John Glenn High School Junior Caitlin Reed has two works on display in the exhibition that she made in art class.

Mideast/ John Glenn High School junior Caitlin Reed shows off her award-winning T-Rex drawing.

For Reed, the exhibition is an opportunity to explore new techniques and materials other students have chosen to use.

On display are works made of ceramic, paper mâché, stained glass, oil on canvas and rice paper, among other techniques.

The subject of each piece may not speak for the entire culture, but collectively, the artwork communicates the eclectic interests of American students and Chinese students.

Caldwell High School senior Marshal Niswonger next to his paper mâché dragon on display in the exhibition.

Sun hopes that his own college students can learn from the different styles and eventually incorporate them into their own work.

Although the exhibition showcases the works of high school students on a college campus, the gallery is open to the public on weekdays throughout October.