Todd Bickle Memorial Scholarship now available to Muskingum County students

By Staff Report

A scholarship has been created in honor of late Muskingum County Clerk of Courts Todd Bickle to recognize his many years of service to the community.

The fund is accepting both contributions and applications to memorialize Bickle and provide funding for students aspiring for further education.

Bickle was a lifelong resident of Muskingum County and a 1978 graduate of Tri-Valley High School.

He earned an Associate Degree from Muskingum Area Technical College, now known as Zane State College, and began working as an assistant clerk at the Muskingum County Court House.

Soon after, he ran and was elected as the county’s Clerk of Courts, a position he held for nearly 30 years.

He was known around the community for his friendly smile, loving personality and his iconic green blazer.

Bickle died suddenly after emergency responders were called to his home in mid-January of last year. He was 60-year-olds.

At the time, Muskingum County Common Pleas Court Judge Mark Fleegle called the news “a total surprise.”

Bickle’s position, which is now held by Wendy Sowers, oversees several county offices in addition to the general division common pleas court.

“What most people didn’t realize is that he also had the title office and domestic court,” said Fleegle in an interview with Y-City News in January 2020. “So he actually operated out of three different offices and took care of all of them.”

In addition to his work locally, Bickle was also instrumental outside of Muskingum County.

“The thing is, Todd was also not just an icon in the community for that position but he was very involved at the state level … the Ohio Clerk of Courts Association. So, it’s just kind of blown up how widespread because of his tenure and personality I think people were just drawn to him,” Muskingum County Commissioner Mollie Crooks said at the time of his passing.

Bickle was a past president of the clerk association and was an active member of several committees.

Fleegle added that Bickle would testify at hearings and was at the center of house bills concerning the courts and the clerk association.

“[Bickle was] very active trying to keep up to date and make sure that the courts were doing what they’re supposed to do,” said Fleegle. “He attended everything, went everywhere [and] knew everybody.”

Those who worked closely with Bickle described him as friendly, witty, optimistic and funny.

Then Assistant Muskingum County Prosecutor Ron Welch, now the county’s elected Prosecutor, said that no one that met Bickle ever had a bad word to say about him.

“He was always smiling and quick to say hello,” said Welch. “He was always quick with a joke.”

The scholarship was established to memorialize those memories of Bickle and provide a future generation with money for tuition and other educational expenses.

Applicants must be a graduating high school senior or current college student enrolled in an undergraduate program and a resident of Muskingum County.

The selection committee will give extra attention to those applicants who show conservative values.

Bickle was known for his honesty and integrity, those applying should also represent those values as well.

To learn more about the scholarship and for an application visit: www.MCCF.org/Scholarship-Central

The application deadline is April 5.

Donations can be made to the Todd Bickle Memorial Scholarship Fund through the Muskingum County Community Foundation.

Would-be donors can make a contribution online at the foundation’s website or by mailing a check to ‘MCCF’ at 534 Putnam Avenue, Zanesville, Ohio.