Local duo giving away complete prom packages to deserving high school seniors

By Jessica Johnston, Assistant News Director

One tweet sparked a partnership in the community amongst people who want to make two students’ last proms one to remember.

Prince Fields, owner of Prince of Cuts, and Sandy Schaumleffel, an EFDA at Hawkins Complete Dental Service, recruited friends and business owners throughout the community to donate their skills or monetary contributions to two complete prom package.

“He had a post on Twitter one day, if you had a million dollars all of a sudden in your bank account what would you do with it,” Schaumleffel said. “And several people talked about why they would do certain things with their money, and I told him that Gary (her husband) and I would adopt more soldiers, that’s what we’ve always done.”

Responding to the tweet, Schaumleffel asked Fields what he would do if he came into $1 million.

Lending the start of the project, Fields responded that he would want to provide an all-expense paid evening for a couple to their prom.

“Let’s do it!” Schaumleffel responded a few tweets later.

In the weeks to follow, the pair recruited many local businesses to help make prom season a little easier on some young people’s wallets.

“Prom is a huge deal, I think, to a lot of people … especially seniors,” Schaumleffel said. “Like their last hoorah of things before they go on with their life, and it’s expensive. It can be six to nine hundred dollars to get a female ready for prom. So we thought if we could pitch in and help out.”

Schaumleffel added that it’s not just the girls that pay for expenses as boys have to find tuxedos and shoes, pay for tickets and often buy dinner.

Noting her giving nature and Fields’ extensive contributions to the community, Schaumleffel said she never had the chance to experience prom, so she always made a large deal of it with her own children, and the duo wants other students to have that opportunity, as well.

Any senior-level high school students that are enrolled in a Muskingum County school district can enter their names into the drawing by March 15 at Prince of Cuts — 52 S. Sixth Street — or Hawkins’ Dental — 2560 Maysville Pike.

Contributing sponsors include:

• Dress: City Electric Service Inc.
  • Dress: Jillian’s
  • Tux: Chuckie Hawkins at STR Capital
  • Tux: Jillian’s
  • Girl’s shoes: Y City Wellness
  • Boy’s shoes: A1 Heating and Cooling
  • Girl’s jewelry: Sandy Schaumleffel
  • Girl’s hair: Mariah at Prince of Cuts
  • Boy’s hair: Prince at Prince of Cuts
  • Girl’s makeup: Jade at Prince of Cuts
  • Mani/pedi: Kaylee Lynn at The Design Studio and spa
  • Prom tickets: Teisha Lewellen at The Design Studio and Spa
  • Professional teeth whitening: Dr. Hawkins at Hawkins’ Dental
  • $50 dinner gift card: Dakota Matz at Matz Fitness
  • $50 dinner gift card: Prince Fields at Prince of Cuts