Y-City News

Developer asking City for full tax exemption to open Texas Roadhouse

Back to Article
Back to Article

Developer asking City for full tax exemption to open Texas Roadhouse

By Christine Holmes, News Director

A Cincinnati-based real estate developer is asking the City of Zanesville to grant a potential new restaurant on Underwood Street tax exemption for 30 years with the creation of a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District for the purpose of urban redevelopment.

During a special meeting of the Community Development Committee Wednesday evening, members expressed concerns regarding the tax exemption, especially questioning the fairness to already established restaurants in the area operating without a special exemption.

“I could see how if I was the proprietor of a competing restaurant that has been here and struggled and, you know, did all of the things that it takes to stay in the business, then all of a sudden a chain comes in and is getting a 100 percent tax abatement from the city for 30 years on the increased value of the property, I mean, that would not rub me the right way,” said Chair of the Community Development Committee Mark Baker.

In the past, TIF Districts have been implemented within the City, especially along Northpointe Drive, but those districts were created with the intention that the City would directly benefit from infrastructure improvements, explained Community Development Director Jay Bennett.

Meridian Realty Capital, LLC is asking the city to provide a 100 percent tax exemption rate between the tax collection years 2021 and 2050 in order for the restaurant, listed as Texas Roadhouse in the proposal, to complete the sale.

In order to enter a full tax exemption, approval from the Zanesville City Schools is necessary.

With many questions left for the developer, committee members opted to send the proposal back for more questions before presenting it to city council.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Developer asking City for full tax exemption to open Texas Roadhouse”

1. Rodney rollison on January 11th, 2019 9:44 pm

No tax cuts ,30yearsyou got to be joking.makes there business sound greedy.

2. Michael F Baker on January 11th, 2019 10:41 pm

If there is a tax abatement I will not be eating at that establishment. No one should get a free ride; this is corporate welfare at it’s worst.

3. Michelle Scott on January 12th, 2019 7:06 am

I would love to have a Texas Roadhouse, it’s my favorite steakhouse! I also love the idea of it being on Underwood because it seams everything is on the north end, it would be nice to expand other directions!!! Even better if some Restaurants would come East and build up around here. It also would create more jobs locally.

4. Walt Withers on January 12th, 2019 10:34 am

100% tax exemption for a restaurant? Are you kidding? They need access to this market more than Zanesville needs a handful of minimum wage jobs. NO WAY.

5. Mary on January 12th, 2019 10:37 am

I am in agreement with Mr. Baker. The other restraints in the area are paying their share of taxes and so should any others that want to build in our wonderful town. I am for voting them down on this. I can go to Newark if I want to eat at a Texas Roadhouse. We have plenty of restaurants competing in Zanesville. How about bringing in other types of businesses that pay better than minimum wage to the area. We need better jobs, with decent pay to improve our community. Better jobs with better pay, provides more tax dollars for improvement. Allowing businesses exorbitant tax breaks won’t help improve our community.

6. Laura Kivlehan on January 12th, 2019 3:38 pm

This is ridiculous!!! Why do they think they need a free ride?

7. Pat gray on February 2nd, 2019 5:48 am

This is nuts if they operate tax free every other business should it is not right

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.