Collecting coats for those in need

Donated coats from the 2017 annual coat drive are displayed on a large table. Photo provided by Christy Rahrig, Advisor with the Community Youth Foundation.

By Jessica Johnston, Assistant News Director

It’s getting really chilly, so grab a coat.

Unfortunately, there are many people in the community who don’t have the luxury of pulling on a coat when the seasons change. The Muskingum County Community Youth Foundation has been recognizing that need in the community for 11 years as the organization continues its annual coat drive.

Now through Nov. 9, the CYF is requesting donations of gently used or new coats and winter items including gloves, mittens, hats, blankets and scarves.

The organization has collected over 2,000 coats and winter items through the annual drive since its start in 2007, Christy Rahrig, an Advisor with the Muskingum County Community Youth Foundation, said. Each year, the drive brings in at least 200 coats and winter items.

Last year was particularly successful with the collection of over 300 coats and winter items.

The donated items will go to a few benefiting organizations to help children and families in the community. The three organizations include the Lifewell Youth Program, Bethel Community Center and the Salvation Army and Eastside Community Ministry.

After all donations are collected and sorted, which volunteers will do on Nov. 11, children’s coats will be taken to Lifewell Youth Program and Bethel Community Center. The remaining adult-sized coats will be taken to the Salvation Army and Eastside Community Ministry, Rahrig said.

Rahrig said that anyone who is in need of a coat can contact any of the four benefiting organizations. All of the items collected by CYF will be available the week following the distribution on Sunday, Nov. 11.

The Muskingum County Community Youth Foundation is a branch of the Muskingum County Community Foundation that is dedicated to helping and empowering young people in the community to make a difference.

There are a variety of different drop off locations throughout the community. Each location has a “drop box” by Creative Packaging to place all donated items in.

Drop off locations include:

• Muskingum County Community Foundation – 534 Putnam Avenue
  • All branches of the Muskingum County Library System
  • North Valley Bank – 2775 Maysville Pike
  • Peoples Bank – 3108 Maple Avenue
  • PNC Bank – 1719 Maysville Pike
  • All branches of Community Bank in Muskingum County
  • Century National Bank locations in Zanesville
  • Bishop Rosecrans High School
  • John Glenn High School
  • Maysville High School
  • Philo High School
  • Tri-Valley High School
  • West Muskingum High School
  • Zanesville High School