Shawger: enjoy a traditionally snow day

By Staff Report

Due to winter weather, including snow and freezing rain, many school districts across Muskingum County took preemptive action Monday night to cancel school for the second day in a row for class on Tuesday.

West Muskingum’s Superintendent Chad Shawger took the opportunity to give students a traditional snow day, without makeup work to be completed while students were away, an action that quickly got the administrator appreciation on social media.

A snowstorm that is projected to give the City of New York up to 2 feet of snowfall Tuesday is also causing cancelations and delays across Ohio as various parts of the state, including Muskingum County, are expected to receive either snow or freezing rain.

Due to that possibility and its effect on roads throughout the county, school districts from Tri-Valley to Franklin Local have canceled class for the upcoming school day.

Unlike in years past, however, due to COVID-19, many districts have well-rehearsed alternative plans for student instruction making the traditional snow day less appealing to students who may wake up to snow-covered roads and driveways but still have coursework to complete.

Shawger took to the district’s main social media accounts late Monday night to announce his district’s students could have the day off.

“This school year has been tough for many of us and like you, I want nothing more than to get back to something that resembles normal,” Shawger wrote. “While we will not be able to do this for all future calamity days, I think we all deserve a bit of a break.”

The superintendent went on to encourage students to go out and play in the snow, watch a movie, drink some hot chocolate or even just help their parents, but his message was clear, for one day this semester ‘enjoy a good old fashion snow day.’

The post quickly drew praise from students and parents alike, one individual wrote “this is wonderful, not only for students but teachers too, thank you so much. Everyone needs a break sometimes.”

Another wrote that his whole household was jumping with joy and high fiving at the news.

As of 11 p.m. Monday night, Muskingum County remains on a Level 1 snow emergency.