Coronavirus concerns prompt Muskingum to hold classes off-campus, vacate dorms

By Christine Holmes, News Director

Muskingum University is following the recommendation of Governor Mike DeWine to begin holding classes off-campus beginning next week do to Coronavirus concerns.

In a letter addressed to the “Muskingum Campus Community,” President Susan Hasseler said students are expected to vacate campus residence halls by 12 p.m. Friday, March 13.

“For those students unable to leave campus, arrangements will be made,” Hasseler added.

Beginning, Monday, March 16, an unspecified off-campus instructional format is to commence.

Administrators and staff at the University have been advised to continue to report to campus for further instructions about what their work responsibilities will entail.

Classes are scheduled as normal for March 11 and 12.

Further, between March 13 and March 29, there will be no large group gatherings on campus for non-athletic events. Athletics will be continued with no spectators allowed.

Additionally, all “non-essential” University-sponsored travel will be canceled or postponed.

Any updates regarding the campus status will be available at www.muskingum.edu/coronavirus.

Hasseler added that students and parents can direct inquiries to the Office of Student Affairs at (740) 826-8080. All other inquiries should be directed to the Office of the President at (740) 826-8115.