High schoolers get a taste of Zane State during annual Road Trip program

Students+studying+criminal+justice+with+instructor+John+Gibson+meet+with+high+schoolers+interested+in+similar+career+paths.+

Students studying criminal justice with instructor John Gibson meet with high schoolers interested in similar career paths.

By Christine Holmes, News Director

More than 215 students from across the region made the trip to Zane State Friday to learn about what the college has to offer upon graduation.

Juniors and seniors from various high schools and careers centers visited campus to participate in the Zane State College Road Trip event.

“Regardless of their path, we want them to know that they can start at Zane State College,” said Recruitment Coordinator Megan Jones. “We are a good way to transition, whether it be the two-year degree you just want, or if you want to get the first two years with us and then transition to a four-year college. So today is to explore how they can do either path.”

Students were split into groups based on their educational and career interests.

The top four preferences of the day, according to Jones, were physical therapy, criminal justice, social work and game design.

Between their two half-hour sessions, the students had the opportunity to partake in hands-on activities in different fields of study offered at Zane State.

Those interested in careers in criminal justice spent some time in John Gibson’s defense tactics class where his students demonstrated their training for expandable baton certification.

In the class next door, high schoolers interested in social work were given a case study to put themselves in the minds of low-income families and the budgetary decisions they make each month.

Students interested in social work careers work together to make financial decisions based on a case study.

All students were given information about the programs offered at Zane State College and the different paths that can be taken toward degrees, certifications and other springboards for careers.

Several schools also stayed for lunch and further informational sessions.

“We always want to offer whatever we can for groups that come in, and we want high schools to know that not only are the students treated as individuals, but the high schools are as well,” said Jones. “We really want to cater to their needs and help out how we can.”

Jones thanked all the schools for participating in the program.

“We’re so grateful to see the attendance that came out today,” said Jones. “It’s always so great to start with a plan and then see it just flourish and do really well.”

Megan Jones thanks the participating students and schools in Zane State’s 2019 Road Trip program.