J.W. and M.H. Straker Charitable Foundation pledges $250,000 to Zane State College

By Jessica Johnston, Assistant News Director

Monday, Zane State College announced that The J.W. and M.H. Straker Charitable Foundation has pledged $250,000 to assist in building the institution’s new Advanced Science and Technology Center.

Due to the pledged donation and building of the ASTC, the building is now the hub for the college’s Electrical Engineering Technology programs, as well as the Radiologic Technology and Medical Assisting programs, according to a media release from the college.

“As a founding director of the Zane State College Foundation, Mr. Straker helped create a lasting legacy that has continued to make a significant impact in the lives of our students over the past 35 years,” Chad Brown, President of Zane State College, said. “The Straker Charitable Foundation’s support for the Advanced Science and Technology Center is a ringing endorsement that Mr. Straker continues to believe that our work has a positive impact in Zanesville and beyond.”

The Straker family has been supporting Zane State for about four decades. Bill Straker began his involvement with Zane State as a Muskingum Area Technical College Foundation Charter Board of Directors member from 1983 to 1987 and served as Chairman from 1984 to 1985. He was awarded Director Emeritus status in 1988.

“I am proud of the opportunities that the Foundation Board creates for students,” Straker said. “The College provides an affordable college education to students in this area, which immediately enables them to make contributions to their employers.”

Straker’s late wife, Mary Helen Straker, was also a supporter of the college as she valued education.

In addition to Mary Helen and Bill Straker, Susan Straker Holdren, the current President of the The J.W. and M.H. Straker Charitable Foundation has also been heavily involved in the Zane State community.

Straker Holdren is currently a member on the Board of Trustees of Zane State College and previously served as an English professor and the Dean of Arts and Sciences. She retired in 2015 after 27 years of service. She was awarded Faculty Emerita status in 2015 following her retirement.

The Straker family’s history of support and service to Zane State College and the Zane State College Foundation is appreciated by the campus community. We are thankful for their continued dedication to our students,” Jennifer Folden wrote in the release.