Motorists urged to abide by road laws as buses transport students for academic year

Photo provided by Unsplash.

By Jessica Johnston, Assistant News Director

As students have settled into their assigned seats for the academic year, school buses have become more visible on the roadways as they transport children to and from school.

With six school districts throughout the county, and multiple schools in each district, many students are riding buses every day.

Last academic year, in the City of Zanesville, eight drivers were officially cited for not abiding by laws associated with school buses, according to records from the Zanesville Police Department. While only eight drivers were cited, 10 reports were filed.

During the calendar year of 2018, 12 violations were issued to drivers in the county, through the Muskingum County Courts, for improper passing of a school bus. Since the beginning of 2019, an additional seven violations have been filed with the courts for improper passing of school buses, according to records from the Muskingum County Court.

In accordance with the Ohio Revised Code, drivers are required to stop at least 10 feet behind or in front of a stopped school bus that has red signal lights and an extended “STOP” sign. Motorists are able to resume driving once the school bus begins moving.

Prior to a bus coming to a stop, yellow lights at the top of a bus will come on. The yellow lights indicate that the bus is preparing to stop to pick up or drop off children. Drivers are not required to stop when the yellow amber lights are flashing but should prepare to stop shortly after seeing them, according to the Ohio Department of Public Safety.

If a bus is traveling along a two-lane road, drivers in both lanes are required to stop for the bus. On a four-lane road, only vehicles driving in the same direction as the bus are required to stop for the bus. It is required that school bus drivers drop students off on their side of the street if four or more lanes are used.

Improperly passing or failing to stop for a school bus is punishable by a fine of up to $500, according to the ORC. 

If a bus driver believes a motorist has violated roadway laws surrounding the safety of buses, the driver will take down the person’s license plate and report the incident to the law enforcement agency overseeing the district.

While it’s important to abide by roadway laws while in the vicinity of school buses, it’s also important for motorists to abide by speed limit signs within school zones and pay close attention to crosswalks as many children walk home or to their caregiver’s vehicle.

Students, school administration and bus drivers will celebrate school bus safety in October during School Bus Safety Week. Each year, School Bus Safety Week serves as a reminder to promote safe school bus practices. The 2019 theme for School Bus Safety Week, which takes place Oct. 21 through Oct. 25, is “The Safest Form of Student Transportation.”

For more information on school bus laws within Ohio, visit section 4511.75 of the Ohio Revised Code.