Judge Martin receives OUZ alumni award

By Staff Report

Judge Eric D. Martin of the Muskingum County Probate and Juvenile Court was recently presented with Ohio University Zanesville’s 2019 Alumni Leadership Award.

His family, friends and fellow alumni surprised the Judge with a reception at EagleSticks Golf Club earlier this month.

“I’m very honored and humbled,” said Martin. “I’m a huge Ohio University fan.”

Martin studied for three years locally at Ohio University Zanesville’s campus before spending his final year in Athens to complete his degree. He fondly remembers his time attending class and remarked on the superb education he received from his professors in Zanesville.

Martin graduated from Ohio University in 1992 and went on to receive his law degree in 1995 from the University of Akron School of Law. Subsequently, he was admitted to practice in the State of Ohio on Nov. 13, 1995.

“Not only did I exceptionally compete to get into law school, but in law school against students from all over the state and the nation, including ivy league schools, I never once felt I wasn’t academically prepared for the challenge of law school,” Martin said when referring to the education he received locally.

After finishing his law degree, Martin began his career as a private practitioner before ultimately joining the Muskingum County Prosecutor’s office where he would serve for over a decade.

According to documents with the Muskingum County Board of Elections, Martin won a seat as County Court Judge in November 2006. He also served as a partner at the Allen and Baughman law offices in Zanesville.

Governor John Kasich appointed Martin as probate and juvenile court judge in 2014 following Martins’ successful bid for the position as the Republican primary nominee.

“I’ve had a great career so far and I’ve really enjoyed it,” Martin said. “My family and friends are all here and I’ve been able to raise my children here. It’s home, it’s our community.”

As a parting word of advice, Martin advised high school students who will be selecting a college in the fall to never shortchange themselves, to always dream big and set their goals even higher.