Exhaust fire fills pizza restaurant with smoke


By Christine Holmes, News Director

Maple Avenue was closed for a short amount of time late Thursday morning as crews responded to a fire at Papa John’s Pizza.

According to Zanesville Fire Chief Jeff Bell, the fire started just after 11 a.m. in the kitchen.

Bell said the pizza oven’s exhaust system had elements inside which caught on fire.

Firefighters arriving on scene found the building to be filled with smoke which was also seen coming out of the eves and exhaust unit on the roof.

Bell expects the restaurant will remain closed until parts can be replaced in the exhaust unit.

In addition to the Zanesville Fire Department, Falls Township Fire Department, Genesis Community Ambulance, the Zanesville Police Department and the Zanesville Street Department were on scene.