Bar Association awards three seniors college scholarships on Law Day

Attorney+Susan+McDonald+recognizes+seniors+Chad+Bell%2C+Maddie+Phillips+and+Austin+McCleary.+

Attorney Susan McDonald recognizes seniors Chad Bell, Maddie Phillips and Austin McCleary.

By Christine Holmes, News Director

Three area high school students were recognized by the Muskingum County Bar Association during Wednesday’s Law Day scholarship ceremony at the Muskingum County Courthouse.

This year’s essay contest winners were asked to write on the theme “Free Speech, Free Press, Free Society.”

The first place winner was Tri-Valley High School senior Chad Bell, who was awarded a $1,500 scholarship for his essay.

“I really love the topic for this year, it was freedom. Freedom of speech, freedom of press, all those First Amendment rights that we’re granted,” said Bell. “That was really meaningful to me, so I found it kind of easy to write about because I really care about this country.”

The son of Craig and Traci Bell, he plans to attend Bringham Young University to study mechanical engineering and computer science after completing two years of mission work with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Bell said he is grateful to the bar association for the scholarship award.

“With all the costs for college, that helps a lot,” Bell said.

Philo High School senior Maddie Phillips was awarded a $1,000 scholarship for her essay, and West Muskingum High School Senior Austin McCleary won a $500 scholarship for his.

McCleary will attend Marietta University in the fall to study actuarial science. He is the son of Robert and Anna McCleary.

Phillips will attend Capital University in the fall to study marketing and pre-law with hopes of attending Capital’s law school after graduation.

“So, for this being for Law Day, that really meant a lot to me, and I felt that if I could get in with some people here that maybe they could help me along the way,” said Phillips.

She is the daughter of Schawn and Jamie Phillips.