Many scholarships available to area students

By Jessica Johnston, Assistant News Director

Deadlines are quickly approaching for many scholarships available to Muskingum County high school and higher education students.

Scholarship Central, through the Muskingum County Community Foundation, has announced an assortment of scholarships with deadlines to apply in March.

For more information on the scholarships, visit Scholarship Central online at www.mccf.org or contact representatives at 740.453.5192 or by email at scholarshipcentral@mccf.org. All applications can be completed on the Muskingum County Community Foundation’s website.

2020 Muskingum County Democrat Club Scholarship — The scholarship, in memory of Brenda A. Anderson, was created in hopes of encouraging students in the Muskingum County area to be actively involved in government.

Interested students must be intending to pursue a degree in the public arena and all majors may apply. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

The deadline to apply is March 20, 2020.

2020 Grant Hickman Memorial Scholarship — Students seeking the Grant Hickman Memorial Scholarship must be 2020 Muskingum County area high school graduates pursuing higher education with a record of community involvement including extracurricular activities and volunteering.

“Words cannot adequately describe Grant Hickman. He was everything a parent could wish for and so much more. He was a wonderful son, brother, grandson, nephew and cousin. He was also a wonderful friend. He had a great respect for others and accepted them for who they were. Grant was a good student and more importantly a great person. He made us proud in every way possible. Grant was always gifted as an athlete. He especially loved football and skateboarding. He was known for doing back flips on command. Grant was inspired by any type of physical activity and in turn inspired others. Grant was kind-hearted, friendly and full of life. He loved to laugh and make others laugh. The world is not the same without him. His job here on earth goes unfinished. Hopefully these scholarships will help others achieve their dreams and in turn fulfill some of Grant’s dreams and continue his legacy,” Bret, Beth and Valerie Hickman wrote in a media release.

Corley and Melodie Thomas Scholarship — The scholarship was created by Corley and Melodie Thomas to help young students realize their college dreams.

Applicants must be current high school seniors planning to attend a two or four year college or university. Qualifying students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. In addition to the online application, students are required to submit one reference letter, an essay shorter than 750 words and an unofficial or official grade record.

2020 Josephine Sebach Scholarship — The scholarship encourages “late bloomers” who may have gained direction during their last two years of college to apply, as well as students who may not receive top academic scholarships. Additionally non-traditional adult students are encouraged to apply.

Applicants must be first time college students at an accredited two or four year college who graduated from a Muskingum County area high school with at least a 2.0 GPA.

2020 Celine Wyatt Memorial Scholarship — Traveling beyond the borders of Muskingum County, the memorial scholarship is for high school senior girls from Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia or Pennsylvania.

Applicants must be student athletes who excel in softball and have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate characteristics of leadership, passion, determination and commitment.

A letter of recommendation from a softball coach is required. A second recommendation letter from another coach, teacher or guidance counselor is optional. An essay is required from the student writing about a personal experience of “striking out” and how the student overcame the adversity.

The top three applicants are expected to attend a panel interview with the scholarship’s selection committee.

2020 Tom Johnson Memorial Scholarship — Student athletes that participate in golf, bowling or softball are encouraged to apply for the memorial scholarship honoring 1972 Zanesville graduate Tom Johnson.

Johnson was a softball player, golfer and bowler for most of his life. He had a strong focus of family first. Johnson died due to a brain tumor at the age of 55.

Interested applicants should be students graduating from a Muskingum County high school in 2020 and have a true love for life, an outstanding work ethic, a great sense of humor and much respect for their family.

2020 Matz Family Legacy Scholarship — Applicants for the scholarship should be students graduating from a Muskingum County High School in 2020 who qualify as a four-year student athlete.

“Growing up and being an athlete in Muskingum County is something that gives me great pride. The memories I made during that time are ones that I’ll cherish forever. It excites me to give the student athletes of Muskingum County the opportunity to express what this same experience has meant to him or her,” Dakota Matz, the original donor of the scholarship, said in a release.

Scholarships for Philo High School students

Josh Atwell Memorial Scholarship

Beckwith Farm Scholarship — For students pursuing a degree in education or nursing.

Margaret Carol Barringer Scholarship — Candidates should be a 2020 graduate of Philo High School with a minimum GPA of 3.0 intending to enroll in a college or university with a history of participation in community activities and extracurriculars.

Mike Strohl Memorial Scholarship — For 2020 graduating seniors.

Scholarships for John Glenn High School students

Traci Lynne Reed Memorial Scholarship — Applicants should be a 2020 John Glenn High School graduating senior pursuing higher education. Candidates should be involved in volunteering, their community, extracurricular activities, arts, music, drama and church activities.

The deadline for the scholarship is March 20, 2020 at 5 p.m.

Scholarships for Tri-Valley High School students

Coach Keller Memorial Athletic Scholarship — This scholarship is for Tri-Valley 2020 graduating seniors that are active in track or cross country for at least one season.

Dixon Family Scholarship — Interested students should be seniors at Tri-Valley pursuing higher education with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Preference will be given to students pursuing technical training. Applicants should be involved in extracurricular activities, community and volunteer activities. Two male and female students will be chosen to receive the scholarships.

Scholarships for Zanesville High School students

Howard and Norma Lavy Veteran’s Memorial Scholarship — Interested applicants should be graduating seniors, or a previously graduated student if they’re a military veteran, with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher. The applicants are required to be active in community service groups or organizations and planning to attend a two or four year institution.

The scholarship may be used to attend technical or vocational institutions. Zanesville High School graduates from disadvantaged backgrounds, qualified veterans or students entering into the college-level ROTC will be given preference.

James W. McCandlish Memorial Scholarship — Students interested in the scholarship should be graduating Zanesville High School seniors pursuing a degree in visual arts or education. Students pursuing a degree in performing arts are not eligible to apply.

Cynthia McHenry Shull Scholarship — This scholarship requires applicants from Zanesville High School to have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and an attendance rate of 85 percent. Qualifying students are also required to hold a part-time job and be affiliated with a religious institution. 

Julie Mesaros Scholarship — 2020 graduating seniors from Zanesville High School interested in the scholarship are required to have a minimum GPA of 2.8. The student should also have participated in band, soccer or track during their high school career.

Scholarships for West Muskingum High School students

Ashley Cordial Memorial Scholarship — The deadline to apply is March 20, 2020.

Nick Tilton Memorial Scholarship — 2020 graduating seniors from West Muskingum High School with intentions to pursue higher education in the following year are encouraged to apply. A history of volunteering and participation in extracurricular activities is required.

Pamela Smith Jackson Memorial Scholarship — Pamela Smith Jackson’s four sisters created the scholarship in their sister’s honor.

Jeffrey A. and Lisa R. Wilson Academic Scholarship — This scholarship is for West Muskingum seniors that attended the high school all four years and are pursuing military enlistment following graduation. The scholarship was created to help defer the cost of serving the country.

Anyone interested in making financial contributions to any of the above scholarships are encouraged to contact the Muskingum County Community Foundation’s Scholarship Central at 740.453.5192.