Community members form Leadership, Sportsmanship Program for student athletes

Graphic provided by Zane State College.

By Jessica Johnston, Assistant News Director

In an effort to promote good sportsmanship, leadership skills and friendly rivalries, a group of community leaders came together to for the Athletic Leadership/Sportsmanship Program for local high schools.

The Athletic Leadership/Sportsmanship Program committee includes people from the Muskingum Valley League, Zane State College, Franklin Local School, the Muskingum County Sheriff’s Office, Zemba Bros., Storied Rivals and the West Muskingum School District.

The program aims to target any high school students and officials that are involved with local athletics.

“Sports are the perfect opportunity for kids to learn about integrity, leadership and work ethic. Along with sports comes rivalries, which are meant for friendly competition,” Scott Welker, Muskingum Valley League Commissioner, said. “However, many of us have experienced rivalries that have gotten out of hand with a showcase of behavior that is damaging to the sport itself. This Program is meant to help foster healthy rivalries with respect for the game — both on and off the field.”

One student from each of the 14 participating high schools from across the region was selected as the 2019 to 2020 Athletic Leadership/Sportsmanship Ambassador.

The Athlete Leadership/Sportsmanship Student Ambassadors include:

• Cal Shrimplin — River View High School
  • Ethan Wigal — Philo High School
  • Felicity Boykin — John Glenn High School
  • Grace Conrad — Sheridan High School
  • Hayley Barker — West Muskingum High School
  • Jack Goggin — Rosecrans High School
  • Jaden Valentine — Meadowbrook High School
  • Jordan Raines — Morgan High School
  • Kade Hambel — Zanesville High School
  • Kalli Sidwell — Maysville High School
  • Laine Walker — Tri-Valley High School
  • McKenna Headley — Crooksville High School
  • Melita Davis — Coshocton High School
  • Will Stenson —New Lexington High School

The goal for each of the student ambassadors, with the assistance of their coaches and school administrators, is to encourage other students to work hard, overcome obstacles and maintain a positive attitude. The message of friendly competition will be reinforced through events and activities during the school year.

An Athlete Leadership/Sportsmanship Summit is taking place at the Zane State College campus Tuesday Nov. 19. Over 90 students and school administrators joined the program ambassadors to learn more about leadership.

According to a media release from Zane State, an event of this type has been taking place in the Muskingum Valley area since the 1980s and evolved into the event that it is today, which incorporates high schools from all over the area.

Throughout the day Tuesday, the agenda includes team building activities, a discussion about what leadership and sportsmanship means and planning strategies for the future.

“A highlight of this event is the coaches panel where they will talk about what sportsmanship means to them and how they integrate that into their teams’ culture,” Athlete Leadership/Sportsmanship Committee Member Shelley Zimmerman said. “Students will have an opportunity to interact one-on-one with these accomplished coaches. More events are already being planned to keep the momentum and the message of good sportsmanship front and center.”

Zane State is encouraging the community to follow along with updates, post-event recaps and photos by visiting #StudentsStepUp on social media.